City Fire Department History, 1835-1941
[Page 1] [Go to Page 2]
Click on the image below to go to the next page. To go back, use the back button on your browser
This page is best viewed using Internet Explorer as your internet browser
This page is best viewed at 800 x 600 pixels
Central Fire Station is said to be not only the finest for its size in the mid-west, but to embody certain features never before incorporated in a firehouse. Among its unique features are its rounded plate glass corners at the front, and its circular hose tower. Both these features have practical purposes, but at the same time, they fit perfectly into the architectural effect.
The hose tower has a wheel type of hose carrier, tackles and dollies to raise the hose into position to dry uniformly and in a minimum of time. Another purpose it serves is to ventilate the fire house, as it contains a large exhaust fan to draw off the poisonous fumes when the fire truck motors are being tested indoors.
The front of the station is practically all glass. This fact, coupled with the rounded corners, enables the firemen to see Washington Street in front and for some distance north and south before starting to drive out. Thus, they can better protect traffic and their own equipment.
The doors for the trucks are automatic, sliding up overhead at the touch of a button. They may also be operated by hand.
On the south side of the big room where the trucks are housed are a lounge for the firemen, the chief's office, and the No. 1 captain's office. On the west side is a dormitory large enough to accommodate all the firemen, and adjoining this on the north, a locker room with showers, toilets, and linen closet.
On the north side of the apparatus room are a kitchen and dining room such as any bride might be proud of.
The basement contains a room for drying tarpaulins, a workroom where the firemen may repair equipment when not otherwise engaged, a battery room, a room for oil and other materials, and a boiler and fuel room. The boiler is fired by a stoker.
Central Fire Station was built with an eye to beauty, efficiency, and expansion, if necessary. Although it does not give the impression of being too large for the firemen and equipment it now houses, it has accommodations for four trucks, the chief's car, and 16 firemen if No. 1 Company ever need be expanded to that size.
The building was designed by Leighton Bowers, Indianapolis architect, and constructed by Dunlap & Company of this city. The contract was let and work started last March. The Fire Company started moving in on August 9, and the dedication was scheduled for Nov. 30.
First Line Of Defense
Whether it be under the blazing sun of mid-summer, or out in the raw blasts of winter; whether it be in the bright hours of noon-day, or the dark hours after midnight, the Columbus firemen are ready at a moment's notice to protect the lives and property of the Columbus people.
Because of them we feel secure. Because of their speed and efficiency, few fires in this district have made any headway. Not only have they been one of the finest fire fighting organizations in the state, but they have served their community in many other ways.